DEFINATION OF ACHILLES TENDON TEAR (INJURY, RUPTURE)-
Achilles Tendon Tear is a condition when the achilles tendon breaks down. This injury does affects the back of your lower leg. This injury is very common in people involved in recreational sports activities. Also, it can affect to both professional as well as amateur athletes.
The Achilles Tendon is said to be as a strong fibrous cord and also one of the longer tendons in human body which connects the bones of your heel to the back of your calf muscles. It is an important part of the leg which exists behind and above the heel.,l This achilles tendon is used when you walk , jump. If one overstretches the achilles tendon, it can tear down completely or sometimes partially.
While achilles tendon can resist great stresses from jumping and running, it is dangerous to injury. An injury of the tendon is a separation or tearing of the tendon fibers which unables the tendon to perform regular functions.
Usually, Achilles tendinitis occurs as a result of strenuous, high impact exercise, like running, jumping. If such is neglected, Achilles tendinitis tear can end up by tendon rupturing and thus it is vital to have necessary treatment.
If proper care is taken, having rest and changes in some routine exercise can cure achilles tendon tear of minor stage. Also, in some of the major stage surgery is required.
SYMPTOMS OF ACHILLES TENDON TEAR-INJURY-RUPTURE
There are some of the common symptoms of an achilles tendon tear given below:-
- Difficulty in walking, climbing stairs or moving foot.
- When the leg is pushed of, one can report about snapping, popping or cracking sound.
- Swelling, initial pain and stiffness appears on the back of your heel or ankle due to weakness.
- Also, sharp pain in the back of the ankle or leg appears when pushing off with your leg.
- One becomes unable to stand on your toes.
- About 2 inches of gap can be felt or seen in the tendon above the heel bone.
- Sometimes, a sudden and severe pain may occur at the back of your ankle or calf on being hit by a rock or any other situation.
CAUSES OF ACHILLES TENDON TEAR-INJURY-RUPTURE:
The following are the reasons responsible for the achilles tendon rupture:-
- Due to excessively involved in jogging, running on tough surface.
- When people suddenly increases the intensity of exercise there are chances of occurance of achilles tendon rupture.
- When your ankle or calf is does excessive activity or are overused.
- When patient selects poorly fitted footwear or inadequate shoes.
- If the achilles tendon was injured earlier too.
- If the muscles gets tensed before having exercise.
- Your achilles tendon may gets teared due to weak calf muscles.
- The tendon gets stressed by wearing high heels a lot.
- When muscles or tendon in the legs are too tight.
- Of the person is having a flat feet there bare chances of achilles tendon injury.
- Due to increase in age can also be a reason for the same.
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTS FOR ACHILLES TENDON TEAR-INJURY-RUPTURE:
The following are the ways to diagnose the achilles tendon injury and the following tests are to be taken for the same:-
- PHYSICAL DIAGNOSIS:-
- As the diagnosis are based on the history related to the injury. So your physiotherapist will often take a sight at your walk and will check if you can stand on your tiptoe or not.
- With the help of calf squeeze test or thompson’s test method your physiotherapist will check your tendon.
- IMAGINARY DIAGNOSIS:-
- MRI Scans:- The magnetic resonance imaging gives the better images of the body’s soft tissues, like muscles, disks, nerves, and the spinal cord. MRI determines the damage to soft tissues.
- X-Ray:- An X-ray is a kind of electromagnetic radiation that can penetrate most solid objects to create pictures of an object’s interior.
- Ultrasound:- An ultrasound can assist in difficult diagnosis. These tests can also assist in determining which treatment will be much beneficial depending on degree of injury.
HOME TREATMENT FOR ACHILLES TENDON TEAR-INJURY-RUPTURE:
The following home treatment can be done by patient at home to prevent the achilles tendon injury become worst:-
- The patient should protect the injury by having rest and should avoid lifting heavy weight.
- Using ice packs can to reduce pain and swelling can be very effective. The patient should apply it regularly.
- One should use pillow under your leg while sleeping and sitting. It will provide rest to the calf.
- The patient can also apply pain relief spray suggested by the physiotherapist.
- Under the guidance of physiotherapist, if the pain exceeds and becomes unbearable patient can also have anti-inflammatory painkillers such as naproxen, ibuprofen.
PHYSIOTHERAPY TREATMENT FOR ACHILLES TENDON TEAR-INJURY-RUPTURE:
The treatment from a physiotherapist is must to be taken if the home treatment proves to be ineffective to the pain. So the following physiotherapy treatment can be provided by your physiotherapist to cure the injury:-
- EXERCISES AND STRETCHES:-
- 1.) Towel stretch
- 2.) Standing calf stretch
- 3.) Side-lying leg lift
- 4.) Standing soleus stretch
- 5.) Eccentric calf strengthening
- 6.) Balancing exercise
- 7.)Standing on toes exercise/Quick rebounding toe-raise
- ULTRASOUND HEAT THERAPY:- The injury can be cured by improving blood circulation. Ultrasound heat therapy will improve circulation which provides relief to the pain and injury.
- ESW:- Extracorporeal shock wave therapy can be given by passing a special sound waves through your skin to your achilles tendon. As there are chances of having some side effects of these treatment so it would be advisable to apply these treatment from a physiotherapist.
- LASER:- Laser therapy treatment is very advance method for pain relief and decrease inflamation,In physiopoint clinic we are using LASER treatment for many painful condition ,and we are getting very good result.It gives an high intensity of light into the tendon. This helps in reduction of inflammation, pain. It also motivates cell reproduction.