- What is Patellar Tendonitis ( Jumper`s knee).
- What are the symptoms of Patellar tendonitis.
- Causes of Jumper`s Knee (Patellar tendonitis).
- Diagnosis for Patellar tendonitis (Jumper`s Knee).
- Home treatment for Patellar tendonitis (jumper`s Knee).
- Physiotherapy Treatment for Patellar tendonitis (Jumper`s Knee).
Jumper’s knee, which is also known as “Patellar tendinopathy” or “Patellar tendonitis”. Jumper’s knee is an inflammation or you can an injury of the patellar tendon. The patellar tendon is a cord-like tissue that joins the patella to the tibia. It is an overuse inflammation or injury, that is, when frequent movements cause damage or irritation to tissue to a particular area of body.
Repeated jumping, landing and changing direction can cause tears, strains and damage to that tissue. This damage is majorly visible in kids who regularly indulge in sports activities which involve a lot of repetitive jumping. Games such as basketball, gymnastics, soccer, etc., which can put a lot of strain on their knees.
This injury doesn’t seems like major injury so it isn’t that really serious. This is the only reason athletes ignores the injury or attempt to treat it themselves and keep training and competing continue. But, actually it is important to know that it is a major injury which can get worse overtime and may result in surgery. So it can be better applicable here that, “Prevention is better than cure.”
Some of the common symptoms of jumper’s knee include:-
- Particularly, stiffness of the knee occurs while jumping, kneeling, sitting, climbing stairs, or squatting.
- Pain directly over the patellar tendon or more specifically, below the knee cap.
- Pain occurs while bending the knee.
- Pain occurs in quadriceps muscle.
- Weakness in leg or calf.
- Balancing problems.
- Knee surrounds with warmth, tenderness or swelling.
- After acute injury, discoloration of the knee joint may also be noticeable.
Jumper’s knee can be cause due to following major reasons:-
- OVERUSE- Overuse of knee joint such as frequent jumping and running on hard surfaces.
- CHRONIC RENAL FAILURE- It is a critical condition which takes place due to failure of body to remove wastes of body. Kidney failure is the final stage of chronic kidney diseases.
- ARTHRITIS- Rheumatoid arthritis is a type of arthritis is an autoimmune disease that can cause chronic inflammation of the joints as well as organs and other body areas.
- SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSIS- This autoimmune disease is featured by the production of unusual antibodies in the blood.
- DIABITIES- This chronic disease causes of high level of sugar glucose in the blood.
- PHYSICAL DIAGNOSIS (Patellar tendonitis):-
- Tightness in hamstring and quadriceps.
- Point tenderness at the inferior patellar pole, tibial tuberosity, or superior patellar.
- During test, normal ligamentous stability of the knee.
- Normal nervovascular examination.
- Normal knee range of motion.
- Intra-articular effusion of the knee.
- Normal hip and ankle examination.
- IMAGINARY DIAGNOSIS for jumpers knee (Patellar tendonitis):-
- X-RAY:- X-ray of the affected knee can help your doctor rule out any other bone problems that can result in knee pain
- ULTRASOUNDS:- Ultrasounds of the affected knee can help your doctor visualize any tears in the patellar tendons.
- MRI:- MRI can help to visualize better even any subtle changes & tears in the patellar tendons.
- RESTING:- One of the most important treatment and easy treatment of jumper’s knee is resting it as much as possible. Starting to play too soon can just make the situation worse.
- PAINKILLERS:- Over the counter painkillers are recommended to control the pain.
- ICE PACKS:- Ice packs on the affected knee for 15-20 minutes for couple of times a day can help you to recover faster.
- PLATELET RICH PLASMA INJECTION:- This is a new treatment method that still needs to be studied. This method is believed to promote the formation of the new tissue, which will help the damaged tendons heal.
- Cryotherapy for jumpers`s knee :- Ice fomentation is the instant pain relief & reduce inflammation treatment, just use the ice cubes and applied over injured area within 48 hours.
2.) Laser physiotherapy treatment for jumper`s knee:- Patellar tendonitis ( jumper`s knee) laser treatment is the best and advance method for quick pain relief and also help in reduce swelling and inflammation.
The laser beam light inserted to the injured area then laser light stimulate the chemical pain killer hormones which decrease the pain, laser treatment also works on cell/tissue repair which stimulate healing, At physiopoint clinic vidyadhar nagar jaipur ,we are using advance imported laser for Patellar tendonitis.
3.Exercises and Stretching for Patellar tendonitis ( Jumper`s knee):-
- STRETCHING:- 1) Quadriceps stretch
2) Hip flexor stretch
3) Standing hamstring stretch
4) Side- lying leg lift
5) Rectus femoris stretch
6) Resisted terminal knee extension
- EXERCISE:- 1) Isometric quad contractions
2) Single leg extension
3) Eccentric squats
5) Step back exercise
6) Prone hip extension
7) Calm exercise
8) Wall squat with a ball
9) Decline single leg squat
dr sunil tank
Physiopoint clinic jaipur